Having done reboots, sequels and prequels of Superman and Batman, Warner Bros, the studio behind the superheroes franchises, is going to pair them up in a new movie. The announcement was made at the Comic Con show in San Diego by the studio and the director, Zack Snyder, who has recently directed Man of Steel.
Since its June 14 release, Man of Steel has grossed $622 million worldwide. Last year, Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises topped $1 billion in global box office. With such glowing numbers, the studio is confident that combining the two superheros in one movie will be a glorious success in the box office.
Such a formula has already made magic in the box office for Marvel’s Avengers, which featured Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk and Thor. The 2012 Disney release amassed over $1.5 billion worldwide to become the third all time box office grossers, after Titanic and Avatar.
Zack Snyder is currently working on the story with David S. Goyer, who penned The Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release in summer 2015.
The movie is yet to be cast, for Christian Bale has said that he would not return to Batman, but Henry Cavill will reprise the Superman role.
“I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter,” Snyder said. “Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest superheroes in the world.”
Christopher Nolan, who has his hands full with Interstellar, will only act as an executive producer alongside his producer wife, Emma Thomas.